Unlike some early industrial locations in Alberta that were simply abandoned to the elements, or modern locations where environmental regulations require extensive reclamation efforts, the Bankhead town and mining operation near Banff was partially reclaimed in the early 1920’s. Most of the surface elements were removed when the mine shut down, including equipment and buildings. However things like foundations, heavy footings and concrete building shells were mostly left in place. This stone pylon located in the scant remains of the machine shop likely served as the support for a piece of heavy equipment, a hoist frame, or the like. For over 90 years it has been a silent witness to the resurgence of the surrounding forest. It will remain so for many decades more, until it is finally broken down by weather, freeze/thaw cycles, and the growing encroachment of roots large and small.